Tuesday, March 10, 2009

happy accident


Christine barking at Andrew. This is one of my favorite accident moments. I call it an accident, even though I instructed Christine to do what she's doing. More like a surprise moment, because I hadn't planned to try it beforehand. A spontaneous decision inspired by how the dancers were interpreting my instructions. I don't know where it will go in the piece, or if it even has a place, but there's something so beautiful in it.

In working with Andrew, Christine, Marina, Julie and Phoenicia, I am fascinated by the intersection between who they are in real life and who they are in their characters. This is at the core of what I am interested in. We spend all this time channeling this other character, when really what we are bringing out are specific aspects of ourselves. In researching the character we find what is meaningful to us, what we can identify with, and then we take that material and figure out ways to express it physically.

No comments:

Post a Comment