Saturday, April 11, 2009

recording voice over


Today I recorded a voice over for the piece with Wade Wright at his record store near Haight Street in San Francisco. Wade has a fantastic voice, very full and story-book sounding.

Wade is not an actor but a friend of mine from Cafe Divine in North Beach. His voice struck me as having the right feel for the Norton story. I wanted him to read the voice over in his natural voice, but slower and with space between the words (so it could be easily heard in a theater). We recorded many takes of him describing Norton's history, short soundbites about the other characters, as well as some "effects" for Norton such as cackling, wimpering, and growling.

No room in the budget to rent professional recording equipment, so I used a microphone that attaches directly to the I-Pod, called a Belkin Tune-Talk. We recorded in the large quiet space of Jack's Record Cellar, located on the corner of Scott St and Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment